Accredited Drug Testing Specimen Collector Training
This course may be used for Initial training OR the 5-Year Recertification training.
Prefer in-person training?
Join us on December 4, 2021 in Orlando, FL!
50% of Drivers Are Randomly Selected for Drug Testing Yearly
- This does not include pre-employment, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, and other instances.
- Motor Carriers and Drivers are required to be in a randomized Alcohol and Drug Testing program resulting.
Federal regulations require a 2-part training to become
a DOT Certified Specimen Collector:
A “Qualification Course” followed by a “Proficiency Demonstration”
You may start or stop the video at any time and return to finish the video as needed.
A downloadable PDF version of the training manual is included.
Available for your use are drug testing forms, charts that offer guidance, and brochures that you may find useful.
This test is composed of 32 multiple-choice questions and is available upon completion of the training video. The test may be taken as many times as needed to obtain a passing score of 90%. The review test must be completed before scheduling the “Proficiency Demonstration”.
Once you have passed the Review Test, you will be given a link to schedule your “Proficiency Demonstration” which must be completed within 30 days.
Conduct 5 mock collections covering common and uncommon collection scenarios. This face-to-face proficiency demonstration is performed with a TeamCME representative via video conference, and usually takes about 90 minutes to complete.
Prepare by practicing on family or staff members by doing at least 5 practice collections prior to your Proficiency Demonstration. (Please use photocopies of the Chain of Custody forms for practice.)
On the day of your Proficiency Demonstration you will need the following:
- 6 Split Collection Kits (These will be sent to you upon purchasing the training course.)
- Have a person with you to act as your “donor” for the mock collections. If no one is available, the proficiency demonstration cannot be completed
- 6 Federal Chain of Custody Forms
- If your computer does not have a webcam, you will need to purchase one
- A Skype account and computer monitor video camera
- Eliminate all potential distractions and establish an area that will be quiet and without interruptions
We ask that you login to the video conference shortly before your scheduled time and have your supplies available. A TeamCME representative will call you on the phone the day of the demonstration. Once we have you on the phone, we will start the video conferencing. Once we can hear and see you and you can hear and see us, we will hang up the phone and be able to communicate through video conferencing alone.
Cancellation/Rescheduling without 24+ hour notice will result in a $25 fee.
“Proficiency Demonstration” ONLY:
This is only used when the “Qualification Training” has already been completed and the trainee only needs to complete the “Proficiency Demonstration”. Per regulations, this course must be completed within 30 days of finishing the “Qualification Training”.
Error Correction Training:
Error correction training is required in the event the collector causes a fatal flaw that results in cancellation of the drug test. The lab and/or MRO will notify the collector if error correction training is necessary. Provided as a live Skype teleconference with a TeamCME representative. Call TeamCME to schedule a time for your correction training (541) 276-6032.